In recent months, we have relied upon our charities and local voluntary groups more than ever. A crucial part of the Government’s response to COVID has been the £750 million support package to ensure voluntary, community and social enterprise sectors across the country can continue their vital work during this difficult period.
The emergency package was broken down into a number of specific areas, including:
- An immediate allocation of £200 million to hospices across England;
- £200 million to the Coronavirus Community Support Fund, distributed by the National Lottery Community Fund, with a focus on supporting small- and medium-sized charities;
- £160 million to government departments for charities working on the front line of the Covid response, on issues such as tackling domestic violence, supporting the nation’s mental health and protecting vulnerable children;
- £37 million to the BBC’s Big Night In appeal, matching the generosity of the public in raising funds for Children In Need, Comic Relief and the National Emergencies Trust;
- £5 million to the Voluntary and Community Sector Emergencies Partnership to support volunteers in local areas.
Over 13,000 charities across the country have received funding to continue their vital work, including household names, such as St John Ambulance, NSPCC, Age UK, Barnardo’s, Fareshare, and the British Red Cross, as well as thousands of smaller local charities.
OUR LOCAL AREA
This support is helping in West Dorset, both through larger charities working to support communities across the country and through charities based in our area.
From the £200m Coronavirus Community Support Fund alone, 22 charities in West Dorset have so far received £378,710:
Bridport ASD and Social Anxiety Group (£9,800)
Bridport Child Contact Centre (£690)
The Stepping Out Cancer Rehabilitation Community Group (£10,000)
The Burrough Harmony Centre (£9,900)
Future Roots Ltd (£8,000)
Sherborne Community Kitchen (£10,000)
Bradpole Church Pre-School (£7,000)
Youth Mindfulness Education CIC (£9,940)
Dorset Search and Rescue (£8,501)
Cruse Bereavement Care Ltd - Dorset (£9,812)
Sherborne Equestrian Limited (£10,000)
Friends of the Lyric Theatre CIC (£10,000)
Mid Dorset Mencap (£10,000)
Bridport Roman Catholic Parish (£1,900)
Home-Start West Dorset (£26,015)
Weymouth Community Volunteers (£37,349)
People First Dorset (£15,095)
Age UK Dorchester Ltd (£34,000)
Dorset Mental Health Forum (£30,400)
The Magdalen Environmental Trust (£49,213)
The Lantern Trust (Weymouth) (£61,095)